The video-on-demand streaming service Hulu has been in operation for more than ten years. With over 40 million subscribers, it is one of the best and largest streaming platforms in the United States. Hulu is also an excellent cable-cutting alternative for many traditional cable subscribers. It not only has a massive library of around 2,500 movies and over 40,000 episodes from thousands of TV shows. But it also plans to stream live TV via the Hulu Plus Live TV program.
The use of advertisements is one contentious feature that distinguishes Hulu from most of its competitors. The most basic plans include advertisements in the content, similar to what you might see on network television. Paying for a service and still seeing advertisements may be frustrating for some users. But it does help to keep the cost low. Paying twice as much will be required of those who do not want to see advertisements. Unlike many other streaming services, You can pay for premium add-ons. Such as unlimited simultaneous streams, TV channels, and more separately.
What’s on Hulu?
Hulu may not have as many impressive originals as Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. But its syndicated content more than compensates. There are thousands of episodes to binge, with new episodes being added almost every day. As a result of relationships with many of America’s biggest networks.
Given that Disney will soon be the sole owner of Hulu. You’d think the company would have more content on its Disney Plus platform, but this isn’t always the case. Disney has pledged to keep Disney Plus as kid-friendly as possible, which means R-rated content will be absent. Hulu has thus become the primary platform for Disney’s more mature content.
So, where should you begin? Here’s a list of the top shows and movies on the platform to give you an idea of what’s available.
The Best Hulu shows
We have several lists of the best shows by genre, but here’s a taste of what’s to come.
- American Horror Story: Hotel — FX’s horror anthology series in which each season is a standalone mini-series.
- Archer — Another FX animated sitcom about a dysfunctional intelligence agency led by Sterling Archer.
- Castle Rock — Set in the Stephen King multiverse, J. J. Abrams’ Hulu original psychological horror anthology series Castle Rock brings Stephen King’s creepy ideas to life.
- Devs__ is an FX on Hulu sci-fi thriller created by Alex Garland about a mysterious disappearance at a Silicon Valley quantum computing firm.
- Fargo — A black-comedy anthology series from FX based on the Coen Brothers’ 1996 film of the same name.
- Future Man__ is a Hulu Original time-traveling comedy about an underachieving janitor named “Josh Futturman” who discovers unexpectedly that the characters in his favorite video game are real, and it is up to him to save the future.
- The Handmaid’s Tale — A dystopian drama produced by Hulu based on Margaret Atwood’s acclaimed 1985 novel of the same name.
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia — An FX sitcom about five terrible people who run an Irish pub in Philadelphia.
- Only Murders in the Building __ is a comedy mystery about three true crime podcast fans who investigate a murder in their apartment building while also starting their own podcast.
- Veronica Mars — A mystery drama that aired from 2004 to 2007. After fans funded a feature film in 2013, Hulu picked up the show for an all-new fourth season.
- What We Do in the Shadows — FX’s goofy dark comedy about three vampires living in New York City.
Best Hulu movies
Although it is best known for its TV shows, Hulu also has thousands of great movies available for immediate streaming. Visit the link below to see our complete list of recommendations.
Hulu currently has a small number of original movies and documentaries, but that number is growing. Here are a few options to give you an idea of what’s on the platform.
- Prey — A prequel to the Predator series, this action film set in the 1700s pits an alien hunter against a young Comanche warrior looking to prove herself.
- Palm Springs — An original comedy about two people at a wedding who become trapped in a time loop and must relive the same day over and over.
- Run __is a suspenseful thriller about a young girl who suspects her mother is trying to keep her sick and at home.
- Nomadland__ is a film about a woman who loses her job and decides to go off the grid and join a nomad community in the United States.
- Becoming Bond — A documentary about George Lasenby, who played James Bond in only one film, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.
- Little Monsters __ is a Hulu Original zombie comedy about a disgraced musician and a children’s TV host who must protect a group of children after a zombie outbreak.
- Minding the Gap __ is a Hulu Original documentary about a group of friends who were brought together by their passion for skateboarding. It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.
- Parasite —South Korean director Bong Joon-black ho’s comedy-thriller is about a low-income family who takes advantage of a wealthy family to experience a high life. It won numerous awards and is widely regarded as the best film of 2019, if not the decade.