No doubt Gmail is a popular and free email service provider, providing 15GB maximum space to its users, due to which some users may find difficulty after reaching their maximum limit, which makes backup a logical option to consider. So today, in this article, we are going to discuss the various methods to backup Gmail emails to the hard drive. However, you can also use the Gmail Email Backup Software to download Gmail mailbox emails in bulk.
What is Gmail Used for?
Gmail is a safe and reliable web-based email client provided by Google. It serves 1.5 active users by providing features like management of emails, documents, photos, keeping notes, contacts, etc. Many users trust Gmail email service providers for their precious information, but in the era of cyber attacks, it is sensible to consider the option of backup to save your information on your local machine. So before moving to the solution part of How to backup Gmail to a hard drive, let’s know the reasons to download Gmail emails locally.
Reasons to Backup Gmail Emails to Hard Drive
- Prevent Data Loss:- In case of data loss due to any reason like a cyber-attack, you can still stay calm if you have a backup.
- Avoid extra work:- Losing your precious data can cause you an extra burden on your shoulders; however, backing it up can save you.
- Competitive Advantage:- Even a minute’s delay in accessing your data can give competitors the chance to win the race.
- Avoid worries and sleepless nights:- Stop worrying about data loss or situations leading to data loss and start backing them up now.
These are common reasons that lead to the need to backup Gmail emails into an external hard drive. Now, let’s look at the methods to start getting a backup of your Gmail account to hard drive.
Methods to Backup Gmail Emails to Hard Drive
If you are using Gmail email service provider as your regular service provider, you might wish to save a copy of the sent and received emails you have in your Gmail account till now, and fortunately, it is very easy also to do so with the below-mentioned methods:-
- Save Gmail Mails as a PDF.
- Export using Microsoft Outlook.
- Download Gmail email using Google Takeout
- Professional solution to Save or Backup Gmail emails
Method 1: Save Gmail Emails as a PDF
Gmail is the most popular email client and comes up with a built-in Print option that allows users to download Gmail email into a PDF format. Follow the steps to do so:
- Firstly before going ahead with the steps, please make sure to have an active Gmail account.
- Now login with your Gmail ID and Password.
- Go to Inbox and select the desired Email.
- Followingly, now click on the three dots on the upper side.
- Hit print and a pop-up will appear on your screen.
- Then from the drop-down list in the destination option, select save as PDF.
- A pop-up will again appear on your screen.
- Here, you can select the destination of your PDF from the destination option.
- Also, you can assign a customized name to your file.
- Lastly, click Save.
Method 2: Export using Microsoft Outlook
Using this method can be a bit inconvenient for you if you are accessing Microsoft Outlook and wants all your Gmail in one place only; then, in that case, you can Check out below mentioned steps to download or save Gmail emails using Microsoft Outlook. Note:- Ensure to have an active Google account before proceeding ahead.
- Now visit your Outlook profile.
- Go to the File tab.
- Then press Add Account Option.
- And enter your Gmail credentials.
- And hit Connect button.
- Click Done.
- And go to the Outlook desktop client here; your Gmail account is configured successfully.
Follow the steps to Backup Gmail emails in Outlook as a PST file:
- Now go to File, select Open & Export.
- Click on Import/Export.
- Select the Export to a file option and click Next.
- Now, select Outlook Data File(.pst) option and click Next.
- Select the destination path to save the exported file and then click Finish.
Method 3: Download Gmail Email using Google Takeout
Approaching these methods can be considered as an option as per your convenience, but for a better experience with Google, Google also has its feature named “Google TAKEOUT” here are the steps to go ahead with this procedure:-
- Firstly, enter “https://takeout.Google.com/settings/takeout” in your browser’s Address field.
- Secondly, Click on the “DESELECT ALL” option before the “PRODUCT” option.
- Thirdly, Click on the items you want to export from the drop-down list.
- Now choose the delivery method to get access to the downloaded item. Here we are assuming it via Email.
- After that, select the frequency of your backup, i.e. how frequently you want your selected data to get backed up.
- Please select the file extension you want your data to get saved, and don’t forget to choose the file size.
- Finally, you will get the link to your backup items via Email.
No doubt you can start backing up your data through these above-mentioned manual methods, but you also need to stay aware of the drawbacks that manual methods carry; here are some of the drawbacks:-
The Drawbacks of Manual Methods:-
- Really difficult for the normal person (technically unknown persons).
- You might face difficulty in downloading the file properly while using the Google Takeout method.
- Requires a lot of patience and time:- It requires a lot of patience and time to follow all the steps properly.
- Long and monotonous procedures:- The steps or procedures might just feel monotonous and long.
A Remarkable Tool to Backup Gmail Emails to Hard Drive
Gmail Email Backup Tool is an amazing tool that provides an amazing experience to back up mailbox data with 100% reliability and data integrity. The Tool allows you to download Gmail items into PST, EML, EMLX, PDF, and other file formats. You can even migrate all Gmail emails to Office 365, yahoo, Hotmail, Thunderbird, and other email clients.
Now that you know the tool’s unique and best features, let us see the steps to backup Gmail to an external hard drive.
Steps to Backup Gmail emails to Hard Drive
- Firstly, download and install the Sysinfo Gmail Backup Tool.
- Now sign with the asked credentials.
- Select the folder or folders from the tree structure you wish to backup.
- Go ahead and select PDF, PST, or others as the saving option.
- Now, apply the filter as per your need.
- Select the destination of the generating folder.
- Now start the conversion process by clicking on the “Convert” button.
- Lastly, you can save the report of the whole migration.
Here in this write-up, we have discussed the various ways to backup Gmail emails to hard drive through various manual methods, but to avoid the drawbacks arising out of the manual methods, we have also incorporated the use of the third-party application tool. Consider using the Tool to gain a free and easy experience while doing backup.